When we joined our mission agency, WorldVenture, we quickly learned about all the other missionaries that are in Uganda with our agency. One woman, Catharine, founded and runs a ministry called Hope Alive! (http://www.hopealiveafrica.org/). This ministry has 3 locations, with one in Gulu, Uganda. In fact, she has recruited another couple from Denver to come to Gulu later this year! We were able to spend time with them before our move and are looking forward to seeing them again, here in Uganda.
EMI – Engineering Ministries International
When we arrived in Uganda, we met with Catharine, and she told us about her big plans to develop land near Gulu that her ministry had recently purchased. She said that she had applied for Master Planning services from EMI’s East Africa office (emiea.org), but had not yet heard back. I (Rachel) spent a year as an intern with EMI….6 months in Uganda and 6 months in Colorado. Jesse also volunteered with EMI in South Africa several years ago, as well. We were VERY excited about the possibility of an EMI trip in Gulu.
By October, she found out that EMI had accepted her project and that the team would arrive in January! We immediately applied to be on the team, and got approval from Lumi and WorldVenture to join. We we accepted onto the team (Rachel to help with water/wastewater, Jesse as the lead Electrical Engineer). We had a GREAT time! Rachel was able to see two people from her earlier EMI days, and we had 3 Ugandans on the team as well!
Here is a slideshow/video of our project trip!
Here are some photos that we took of the trip as well!
– Grateful that we are adjusting to life here and finding community!
– For Uganda’s elections as they continue and as results are released and discussed.
– Grateful for a home that is slowly starting to feel like home!…and continued prayer for housing as we have some issues with the house that look like they might not have solutions.
– Please pray for Lumi, and its founder, Thomas. Right now, prayers for wisdom in how to best fill some openings, for our coworkers, and for clear and effective communication across cultures, time-zones, and continents.
-We have a few visitors coming through. One is Lumi’s CFO and his wife. They are from Denver! The other is a couple we know from Denver who are coming out on a vision trip! We are really looking forward to seeing both couples again! =)
– Please also pray for our marriage, and for wisdom, confidence, and peace for us.
Thanks so much for following along with us on this journey.
Please let us know how we can be praying for you!
~Rachel (& Jesse) Geiger