“Working from home”:
Jesse used to work from home one day a week. That used to mean bringing his work laptop to our house, remotely logging into the network, and working on projects from the comfort of his own office. Now, working from home means working from the United States…keeping our laptops on top of the luggage pile in our car so we can work on Lumi tasks from the comfort of whatever bed/couch/table is available at wherever we are staying that day (and “thank you” to those of you who have supplied those places to stay!).
After nearly 5 weeks of training, with over 30 other adults (and their kids), in two different towns, with weekend trips to partners, work meetings, family, and life stuff (like updating car registration), we have finally completed all our trainings and have settled into Jesse’s parents’ home in Castle Rock, CO. At this point, we think this is our last base camp before leaving for Uganda in mid-July…but as I was reminded at church on Sunday (see the first photo below), even that is not guaranteed.
The second half of our May training focused on cultural immersion, conflict styles, team relationships on the field, stress management, grieving, loss, and saying goodbyes. It was emotional…seriously. It was great information though, and we learned things about ourselves and each other that will help us no matter where we live or what our work will be. The second training was with our agency. It was more of a debrief of our Partner Development process and a little bit about the next step in our transition to “the field”.
– Praise: Jesse passed his Professional Engineer exam! We found out earlier than expected and consider it a miracle!
– Request: Wisdom, grace, and patience as we start discussions with our agency and Lumi about our departure date (possibly as early as mid-July).
– Praise: Continued time with family over the last several weeks and for the next month.
– Request: Safe travel as we drive to and from Castle Rock to meetings, etc all over Colorado.
– Praise: One month in the same place (with Jesse’s parents)! So nice to unpack again and get settled for a bit.
– Request: For Lumi and for Lumi’s founder Thomas. Lumi is in a critical phase right now as the capital raise is starting. Thomas is with WV also and is in need of more financial supporters. Pray for wisdom for Lumi and for supporters for Thomas.
– Request: Pray that we reach 100% of our monthly support before we the end of June!…we are at 96%!
Thanks so much for following along with us on this journey.
Please let us know how we can be praying for you!
~Rachel (& Jesse) Geiger